Was the sinking visible from the Old Head of Kinsale?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    admin
    Keymaster

PeterDavie-
    sGarner
    Able Seaman

PostWas the sinking visible from the Old Head of Kinsale?
    on: October 2, 2011, 21:08
    Quote Remove Edit
    I had this discussion with my brother tonight. At least one eyewitness stated he observed the Lusitania going down in detail from the Irish coast. However, in some documentaries showing the diving vessel on the site one can see the Irish coast as a thin line on the horizon.
    I spoke to someone about this who had been on the site and he said that it must have been impossible to see it from such a distance.
    What do you think?

Peter

PeterDavie-
    sGarner
    Able Seaman

PostRe: Was the sinking visible from the Old Head of Kinsale?
    on: October 9, 2011, 13:25
    Quote Remove Edit
    I have seen on Wikipedia that the Lusitania sank approx. 18 km off the Old Head of Kinsale. That is some distance. Looking down onto the ocean from an aircraft during a transatlantic flight (this would be about the same distance) one would hardly be able to make out ships and if so only very vaguely an ocean-liner. Perhaps the Lusitania would have been visible as a speck on the horizon, but I think hardly so that even identifying the ship would be possible.
    Peter

John
    Able Seaman

PostRe: Was the sinking visible from the Old Head of Kinsale?
    on: April 2, 2012, 16:23
    Quote Remove Edit
    If someone was standing next to the Lighthouse he would be about 40 m above sea level. At that height the horizon would be about 23 Km away. If that same person was at the top of the Lighthouse the distance to the horizon would be about 30 Km. So if our observer happened to also have a pair of binoculars on hand (which Lighthouse staff no doubt would) then (on a clear day) he could well have seen Lusitania sink.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
RSS194
Follow by Email4
Facebook3k
Twitter432