The Lusitania Resource > Multimedia > Picture Galleries > St. James Church Lusitania Memorial, Liverpool

St. James Church Lusitania Memorial, Liverpool

Chris Kelly took these photographs of a war memorial in St James' Church, Mill Lane, West Derby, Liverpool.  This memorial has recently been restored at a cost of £20,000 and is made of glass, although it is not a glass window.  Very little is known about who made it or when but there is some suggestion it was done in 1927. It started to fade and become damaged through water ingress, so a lady from the church raised the money to have it restored. Exactly why the Lusitania is specifically depicted is not known as it is not believed that any of the victims came from the West Derby area of Liverpool. It is however a magnificent memorial to those that fell in both wars and measures 6ft x 4ft.

About the Author